Thursday 8 February 2024

For Janice - Books Part 19 (The Penultimate Post on this Subject.... until I do it next time)

So here we go with the 2nd last look at my book shelves. Today I look at the books on the left side of the cabinet, behind the closed doors.

1. Left side, bottom shelf, back row. (Once again, these books are stored alphabetically, with this row starting with the letter 'g'). It starts with 4 books by Erle Stanley Gardner of Perry Mason fame, I'm just getting into the series after enjoying rewatching the original TV series starring Raymond Burr. After that are 5 books by Jonathan Gash, mysteries featuring somewhat shady antique dealer Lovejoy. (Another TV series both Jo and I enjoyed immensely. Maybe Vision TV will start showing those shows). Next are 4 books by Michael Gilbert who wrote both mysteries, featuring Inspectors Hazelrigg and Petrella) and war stories. I've enjoyed both. After that, there is one Sci Fi story from Phyllis Gotlieb (Blue Apes) and 3 books by Caroline Graham, author of the Midsomer Murder books. After that are my continuation of the Poldark books by Winston Graham. I really enjoyed #1. The row finishes with a number of Inspector Jury mysteries by American author Martha Grimes. It's another excellent series, all centered around pubs.

2. Left side, bottom shelf, front row. About 3/4 of the books in this row were written by 2 authors, Jane Haddam (who writes the Gregor Demarkian mysteries - Demarkian is an ex - FBI profiler who now does detective work) and Adam Hall (author of the Quiller spy series. I'm focused on this series for my February Focus challenge). The row is finished off by a number of Steve Hamilton mysteries featuring Alex McKnight, a new series for me and one by John Harvey, author of the Charles Resnick and Frank Elder mysteries.

3. Left side, middle shelf, back row. Other than some horror / fantasy from James Herbert the remaining of the books in this row are mystery / thrillers. The first is the 1st book in the Dr. Fenimore series by Robin Hathaway. This is followed by 3 Jack Caffery thrillers by Mo Hayder and 4 books by James Herbert (fast becoming one of my favorite horror authors) including the final book in the Rats trilogy, Domain. You've got three classic mysteries by Georgette Heyer, 2 Sonora Blair mysteries by Lynn Hightower (I haven't been disappointed by any of the mysteries I've read by her so far), 2 Inspector Serrailler mysteries by Susan Hill, also author of a number of gothic horrors. The remaining 7 books in this row contain the excellent Navaho mysteries by Tony Hillerman.

4. Left side, middle shelf, front row. This row contains all mystery series. Alan Hunter wrote the Inspector George Gently series. The TV show is quite different from the books so far. Joe Ide is a new author for me, author of the IQ mystery series. Arnaldur Indridason writes the Inspector Erlendur mysteries set in Iceland. Hammond Innes wrote spy thrillers and Michael Innes is a new author for me, featuring Inspector Appleby with Death at the President's Lodgings as the first book in that series. The next 10 books are by P.D. James, of the Inspector Dalgleish books and also two featuring PI Cordelia Gray. I think James is another of my upcoming focus authors. The last book in this row is an Inspector Roy Grace mystery, set in Jo's old stomping grounds around Brighton, by Peter James and I think he will continue on the top shelf. We'll see, eh?

5. Left side, top shelf, back row. I've been proven wrong. The first book is a horror story by Jack Ketchum. I previously read his The Girl Next Door and it was unsettling. I've enjoyed the next series very much, the Kat Colorado mystery series by Karen Kijewski. (Kat is much like Kinsey Milhone. It's unfortunate that Kijewski just stopped writing the series after only nine books. Jonathan King has written 7 Max Freeman thrillers and 3 standalones. I did enjoy the 1st Freeman book. Hans Hellmut Kirst wrote anti war stories, many featuring Gunner Asch. He also wrote Night of the Generals which became a feature movie. The sequel, The Affairs of the Generals, is on my shelf. Janice Law writes the Anna Peters industrial spy series and the historical mystery series featuring painter Francis Bacon. Cross Check is the latest in the Anna Peters series. John Lawton writes the Inspector Troy mystery series and Elizabeth Lemarchand the Pollard and Troy mysteries, a new series for me. Next are two books by one of my favorite mystery writers, Donna Leon, Her Inspector Brunetti mystery series set in Venice has a bit of everything, neat mysteries, great food and wonderful characters. I have yet to try John Lescroart's Dismas Hardy legal series but I have heard good things about it. It may slip off the bookshelf if I don't get to it soon though. The next three books are by horror / Sci Fi author Ira Levin. The three books includes The Stepford Wives. Martin Limon writes a mystery series set in South Korea and featuring two US MP's. I really liked the setting and the 1st two stories. Peter Lovesey writes both the Inspector Diamond and the Sgt Cribb mystery series. Jonathan Maberry writes a couple of horror series, both gritty and high paced. John D. MacDonald writes the Travis McGee hard boiled mystery books and Ross Macdonald features PI Lew Archer.

6. Left side, top shelf, front row. I see I've got the first almost half of this row a bit mixed up, with a mixture of John D. MacDonald Travis McGee books mixed in with Ross Macdonald Lew Archer books and also Helen MacInnes cold war spy thrillers. You get the picture, eh? The next book by Charlotte MacLeod features another new author, creator of the Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn mysteries. The next six books are all Commander Gideon police procedurals by JJ Marric and the remainder are from another favorite mystery series of mine, the Inspector Roderick Alleyn mysteries by Ngaio Marsh. Lots to keep my happy.

So, just one more set of shelves to show you, maybe tomorrow. Hope you've gotten some reading ideas from this ongoing thread?

2 comments:

  1. Except for the Midsomer Murders mysteries and Donna Leon's series, I think these might all be new to me! I can't get over your collection. I don't think you can ever move. There's no way you could ever have as much space to keep and display all your books!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails