Wednesday 7 February 2024

For Janice - Books Part 18

Not so sunny today, kind of a gloomy Wednesday. Jo is at work and I'm in the den with the dogs, listening to an FA Cup match on TV as I type this. 

Looking at the bottom shelves behind the doors
Continuing with my ongoing look at our book shelves and the books on them, I'm still in the Den and looking at the books. Today I'm focused on the very bottom, center right side behind the doors. There are 3 shelves and two rows of books on each shelf. The shelves go from A - Z from this right side to the far left. It's a pain when I have to reorganize. πŸ˜•πŸ˜–πŸ˜ƒ

1. Right side, first shelf, back row (I've not read any of these books). The first eight books are women mystery writers; Catherine Aird with the first two books in her Inspector Sloane mysteries; one book by Susan Wittig Albert, the first book in her China Bayles mystery series and then 5 of Margery Allingham's Albert Campion mysteries (I'm currently reading her Look to the Lady. Next are two Sci Fi stories by Poul Anderson and one from Piers Anthony, both usually good value for money. A variety of mysteries follow; one by Charlotte Armstrong, a standalone, one filed incorrectly by Christa Faust (LOL), two of Isaac Asimov's short stories featuring the intrepid Black Widowers and the 3rd book in the Mr. Chip's mysteries. Two Sci Fi stories from J.G. Ballard follow (one strange dude sometimes and then for the most part you've mysteries; Robert Barnard is a new author for me (this is the first book in his Idwal Meredith series; two books by Nevada Barr from her Anna Pigeon mystery series (a favorite of mine), then 3 from Jefferson Bass's Boneyard mystery series (I need to get back to it as I enjoyed the first books); Peter S. Beagle's A Fine and Private Place, a love story between 2 ghosts (I've enjoyed others by Beagle); the rest are by M.C. Beaton, either from her Hamish MacBeth or her Agatha Raison mystery series, both enjoyable. I think I prefer Hamish.

2. Right side, first shelf, front row. For the most part you've got more mysteries, with just a couple of exceptions. It starts with more MC Beaton mysteries (she will be one of my monthly focus authors this year so I can make a dent in the overflow); Anthony Berkeley wrote the Roger Sheringham mysteries but also many standalones, including some under other names, Trial and Error is a standalone; Max Brand wrote westerns as far as I know but also the Dr. Kildare books. I remember watching Dr. Kildare (starring Richard Chamberlin) as a kid so thought I'd like to try one of the books. Lilian Jackson Braun writes the Cat Who mysteries. I've been enjoying that series quite a bit. I have to try Frenzy because it's an Alfred Hitchcock movie I've enjoyed many times. Nicholas Blake wrote the Nigel Strangeways mysteries and might be better known as the dad of Daniel Day - Lewis. Winterkill is the 3rd book in the Joe Pickett mystery series by C.J. Box. Tom Bradby writes interesting mysteries. I enjoyed The Master of Rain very much. the Desert Spear is the 2nd book in Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle. The first book was excellent. The remaining books are from 3 mystery series by another of my 2024 Focus authors, Simon Brett. I've enjoyed every one of the series so far; Charles Paris (part time actor / part time sleuth), Mrs. Pargeter (kind of Miss Marple) and the Fethering mysteries. All are entertaining and different in their own way.

3. Right side, 2nd shelf, back row. More Sci Fi and Fantasy in this row. The row starts with the remaining Simon Brett mysteries, then one by Ken Bruen (Jack Taylor / Ireland). After that you've got John Brunner (another Sci Fi author I'm enjoying), Lois McMaster Bujold (#4 in her Vorkosigan saga) and William Burnett, a new Sci Fi author for me. The next few books are Tarzan books by Edgar Rice Burroughs, with one from his People that Time Forgot trilogy). Andrea Camilleri writes the Inspector Montalbano mysteries, one I'm not overwhelmed by, but will continue to see if I enjoy it more.) After that are Sci Fi short stories by John W. Campbell, a Felix Castor horror / fantasy mystery by Mike Carey and a mixture of mysteries by John Dickson Carr (both series and standalones). Peter Chambers is another new author for me; Murder is for Keeps is the 1st book in his Mark Preston series. Finally on this row, you've got 4 Sci Fi stories by C.J. Cherryh (a newly discovered and enjoyed Sci Fi author) and 2 spy stories by John le CarrΓ©.

4. Right side, 2nd shelf, front row. Once again, for the most part this shelf has mysteries and / or thrillers. My January focus author starts the row, that being the wonderful Agatha Christie, always entertaining. John Christopher does write Sci Fi and I've enjoyed a few of his efforts. Then some reliables in Ann Cleeves (a George and Molly Jones), Michael Connelly (Bosch), John Connolly (the very gritty Charlie Parker - I'm currently reading one of his); and K.C. Constantine (Rocksburg mysteries). The remainder of that row feature various works by John Creasey (another of my monthly focus authors for 2024), the Toff & the Baron, 

5. Right side, bottom shelf, back row. This row mostly contains mysteries, with a few Sci Fi thrown in. There is an Isaac Bell adventure from Clive Cussler (the only one I've really enjoyed so far), a Henry Gamadge mystery by Elizabeth Daly, The Judas Cat from Dorothy Salisbury Davis and a few of Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse mysteries. Follow that up with 2 Sci Fi stories by Philip K. Dick (he's definitely unique and I've read and possess quite a few of his books). There is a mystery from Doris Miles Disney (I enjoyed the first one I read), then Sci Fi adventures from Stephen Donaldson (Gap) (I have previously enjoyed his Thomas Covenant and Mirror of her Dreams fantasy series) and Saul Dunn (the Cabal). Kate Ellis crafts interesting Archeological mysteries and J.T. Ellison writes high paced thrillers. P.N. Elrod has created a vampire series that combines a vampire story with a hard - boiled mystery. It's kind of neat. Loren D. Estleman writes thrillers featuring retired hit man Peter Macklin (amongst other series). Finally the row ends with Janet Evanovich's sexy, funny mystery series starring bond agent Stephani Plum.

6. Right side, bottom shelf, front row. Once again, for the most part, this shelf consists of mysteries. At the far left is a Liz Evans mystery featuring sometimes hapless PI Grace Smith. I've enjoyed the first books very much. Raymond Feist writes fantasy. I read the first book in his Riftwar series and #2 awaits. After that are a couple of Horatio Hornblower adventures (I'm winding down that series). And in quick succession... a minute passed (sorry had to slip in that Monty Python reference). Some Scandinavian mysteries from Karin Fossum (featuring Inspector Sejer), an Australian mystery by Candice Fox (Crimson Lake #3), a few by Frances Fyfield (her Helen West & Sarah Fortune mysteries) and a Neil Gaiman fantasy. Finishing off with the 3rd Cormoran Strike mystery by Robert Galbraith and the a variety of thrillers from Meg Gardiner (featuring either Evan Delaney, Jo Beckett or Unsub). 

Well, there you go. Two more rows of shelves to go. I hope you enjoy checking out the books. I've always wanted to own a book store, I guess this is as close as I'll come. Enjoy the rest of your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails