Monday 10 December 2018

My 2018 Musical Advent Calendar and a Book Update

I finished one of my new books this morning. As well, today is Day 10 of my Musical Advent Calendar.

Day10 - 2018 Musical Advent Calendar Selection.

So my song today is a country song from The Band Perry. It was the first song by them that I heard and seeing it in a live format kind of blew me away. The band was in great form, well synchronized and just powerful. They've done other songs that I also like a lot, especially If I Die Young. But this song gets my blood flowing. So here you go, the Band Perry and Done.



Just Finished
I bought this book on our weekend in Victoria. It was a short one so I thought I'd give it a try.

1. Stranger on Lesbos by Valerie Taylor.












"I first heard of Valerie Taylor when I bought another book, Bunny Lake is Missing by Evelyn Piper. The edition I bought was published by The Feminist Press. I began looking for some of the other authors that they published; Dorothy Hughes - In a Lonely Place, Vera Caspary - Laura (I found this one). Anyway, I also managed to find Stranger on Lesbos this past weekend.

Valerie Taylor was a leading light in the lesbian pulp fiction genre of the late '50s and '60s. Stranger in Lesbos was her fourth book, published initially in 1960. It's a simple story really. Frances, a 1950s housewife, finds herself in a boring marriage, ignored by her husband and stuck in a stifling suburban life. She takes a course at university, deciding to work on the degree she never finished due to her marriage. At her first class she meets Bake and an attraction develops rapidly.

Even though still married, she finds herself exploring the lesbian world, her deep attraction and love for Bake enticing her to spend more and more time with her. The book deals with her dilemma, whether to stay in her current family situation or follow her heart and leave her husband. It's a difficult story to rate, but suffice it to say that it is a thoughtful, interesting story; one of love and difficult decision - making. Taylor further explored Frances' life in some of her future books. (3.5 stars)"


Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails