Tuesday 9 January 2024

For Janice - Books Part 9

I'm hoping not.
The last two days have been a case of two weather systems. Yesterday it rained and blew all day. Oddly enough over in Courtenay they got snow and it seemed most of the rest of the island did too. Strange that all we got was rain, rain, rain..... Today, so far, it's relatively mild and calm and dryish. It seems that later in the week, the temperature is going to drop quite drastically for a few days. We haven't had that yet this winter.

I've completed my 2nd book of 2024 but will get to that in my next entry. Today, I will continue with my look at book shelves and books. I'll finish with the built-ins in the best lounge; the top middle and the right side.

Dorothy L. Sayers (Lord Peter Wimsey)
1. Middle Top. The top middle contains the Peter Wimsey books that I have yet to read. Dorothy Sayers was one of the 4 Queens of Crime in the Golden Age of Detective Fiction; Agatha Christie, Dorothy Sayers, Margery Allingham and Ngaio Marsh. In December, I'll be focusing on Sayers' work. It's been a few years since I tried one of this enjoyable series.

The Sharpe books by Bernard Cornwell
2. Top Shelf, 2nd right. I've been enjoying this series since I started it in 2011. I've read the first 14 books and enjoyed the TV series. Next in line will be Sharpe's Skirmish.

Fu Manchu by Sax Rohmer
3. Top Shelf, right side. I started reading the Fu Manchu fantasy / adventure series back in 2016 and have read 5 so far. It's an interesting series, written from 1913 - 1959 by Sax Rohmer. Next in line will be The Mask of Fu-Manchu

The next three shelves are mainly Jo's books.

Mostly Cathy Kelly
4. Right side, 2nd top. The Cathy Kelly series has been one that Jo has enjoyed very much. There are a few other books, like Margaret Thatcher's biography, a collection of PD James short stories, Tess of the d'Urbervilles and a couple of others.

Jo's Design books
5. Right side, 3rd top. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I do like buying Jo books by favorite designers. I believe that most of these she brought with her from England but I think Thrifty Chic and Living with Books are from me.

More Design books
6. Right side, 4th top. I do apologize for the last two photos as they turned out a bit dark. My fault. I bought Jo most of these design books. They do add to the look of our book shelves. 

A mixture of hard covers
7. Right side, 2nd from bottom Part 1. This contains a variety of hard cover books that Jo and I have found in our wandering around shops. There is a book on gardening, Robin Hood, Rosemary's Baby, Black Narcissus, etc.

L. Frank Baum & others

8. Right side, 2nd from bottom Part 2. I have begun reading and collecting L. Frank Baum's Wizard of Oz books. There are four in that selection of books. It's been fun reading them. As well some classics I'm looking forward to getting to.

Another mixture

9. Right side, bottom. I bought quite a few of these books for the covers; Gulliver's Travels, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. The book on the far left is an old (1933) Ordnance Survey map of London. There is another Oz book and others you can check out.

There you go, another room complete. The final entries will deal with the den and one book shelf in the family room. Lots of hidden books in those rooms. 😃

Enjoy the rest of your week. Stay safe.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I haven't read Tess of the d'Urbervilles in so long, maybe since my late teens! I have to say that I have been inspired by your bookshelves. On the weekend, I moved my desk out of our bedroom and into the office (where it really should have been all along), thus making making room for … guess what … a book shelf! Now to find one that I like for the space. I will try to work from home tomorrow and maybe will even get in some reading time. ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading and book shelf shopping sounds like a perfect weekend. Good weekend to stay indoors as it's going to be a mite cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails