Friday 5 January 2024

For Janice - Books Part 8

On a rainy Friday, I continue to look at my bookshelves and the books contained on them. Today I'll stay in the lounge and look at the built-ins, the 2nd column of shelves from the left side.

Modesty Blaise
1. Top Shelf left. I've been working through this spy / adventure / thriller series featuring a wonderful character, Modesty Blaise. They were written in the '60s / '70s by Peter O'Donnell. The series wanders around the world as Modesty gets involved in many cases, often working for British intelligence.

Inspector Frost
2. Top Shelf right. I bought the books because Jo and I had enjoyed the Inspector Frost series very much. Frost is your typical British police officer, cynical and crusty and enjoyable. R.D. Wingfield only wrote 6 books featuring Frost but they managed to produce 30+ TV episodes starring David Jason as Frost.

Children's stories
3. 2nd from top. Jo and I visited a neat little shopping area on our way back from Victoria one year. We saw this collection of books. They basically contain children's stories, fairy tales, poetry for children of each age, from 1 - 12. We bought them because of the colors and felt they would look nice on our shelves. We were correct. 👋

Do you notice a color scheme? 😀

4. Middle shelf left.  There are a variety of books here. Another collection of Jane Austen stories. I can't remember if I bought it or if Jo brought it with her from England. There are 4 books from a series; a non-fiction collection of Final Interviews of various people; Jacinda Ardern, Ursula K. LeGuin, Kurt Vonnegut and Lou Reed. The final books is a non-fiction book from Margaret Atwood - Payback. It's about the Nature of Debt and was a collection of essays she provided for University of Toronto's Massey Hall.

Murderbots
5. Middle shelf right. I've read the first two books in this Sci Fi series by Martha Wells. Looking forward to continuing it.

Some classics
6. 3rd from bottom. I flipped these on their sides for you. I've purchased onlijne and at various antique stores. An early edition of Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. A collection of essays from Robert Louis Stevenson. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Rip Van Winkle and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell and Prester John by John Buchan. They look nice together.

Terence Conran
7. 2nd bottom left side. I bought these for Jo one Xmas. We have some of Shirley Conran's dishes. She is Terence Conran's daughter. Terence was a designer and this collection contains his ideas about the various rooms in the house. Neat book.

A mixture of books
8. 2nd bottom right side. 4 non-fiction books and one fiction, Nevil Shute's the Chequer Board. There is Joan Didion's Blue Nights, which deals with the death of her daughter. There is Bill Bryson's At Home, where Bryson goes through the rooms of his house in Norfolk and goes into the history of Norfolk, houses, rooms, etc. I believe it's a signed edition that we bought in Ely, England. There is a collection of correspondence by Jean Rhys, author of Wide Sargasso Sea. And finally, an autobiography of Michael Caine.

A mishmash
9. Bottom Shelf. On the left is a collection of articles from Punch magazine that we bought at an antique store. there is the medical guide that my parents had for years and they gave to me. And finally a special collection of the tales of Beatrix Potter that I believe I bought at our local Auxiliary Thrift shop.

See any ideas? Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I believe I did an essay about The Picture of Dorian Gray during my first-year university English course. It's nice to see some classics on your shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Variety is the spice of life, right?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails