Saturday 30 December 2023

For Janice - Books Part 3

Lovely bright sunshiny day today. I'll continue with my look at my bookshelves then take the puppies out for a nice walk.

Left side
So today, I move to the end of the extra bedroom. Now that I look at the photos, I'll do this in 3 posts; left, center and right sides. How thrilling, eh?

Let's start at the top and move to the bottom. Fair enough?

Left Top - Mostly mysteries as you can see, but the first book is one of the Poldark series by Winston Graham. Loved the TV show and the first book. A mixture of mysteries with the next 3, Hag's Nook by John Dickson Carr, The Fleet Street Murders by Charles Finch and Fear in the Sunlight by Nicola Upson. The next four are from the Birder mysteries by Steve Burrows, about a Canadian police inspector who moves to England. On the right are the complete collection of the Mortdecai mysteries by Kyril Bonfiglioli. I've read two of them so far.

2nd from Top - These are all Jo's books, a collector's edition of the Jane Austen books. The magazines are an English collection from Country Homes.

3rd from Top - As you can see, the left side bookshelves contain mostly mystery series. From the left you've got Oliver Potzsch's The Poisoned Pilgrim, one of the The Hang Man's Daughter historical mysteries set in Germany. Then there are three books in the Grantchester mystery series (another favorite TV mystery series of Jo and I). Then two young adult mysteries featuring Maddie Hatter by Canadian author, Jayne Barnard. There are 4 of Craig Johnson's Longmire mystery series, another excellent TV mystery series. And finally just a mix; Peter Robinson's Wednesday's Child, Henry Chang's Year of the Dog and Charles Willeford's Burnt Orange Heresy.

4th from top (or if you'd rather, 2nd from bottom 😎) Part 1 - Other than the bottom two, which are archeological mysteries by Kate Ellis, this shelf contains all Soho Crime books, a neat collection of authors. I basically like the covers and of course, the mysteries too.) They are from all over the world, really. The James Benn books are set in WWII and feature a GI assigned by Eisenhower to look into crimes. Cara Black's series is set in Paris. I highlighted one of Eliot Pattison's books in my last post. Rebecca Pawel's series is set in Spain during the Civil War. So as you can see, a fair variety. Now onto the next side of this shelf.

4th from top Part 2 - I do like the covers, a nice mix of color. From left to right, you've got Cara Black (France), Colin Cotterill (Thailand and Laos, depending on which character, Gary Disher (Australia), David Downing (spy thrillers), Timothy Hallinan (Thailand), Jassy Mackenzie (South Africa), Magdalen Nabb (Italy), Stuart Neville (Northern Ireland), Akimitzu Takagi (Japan), Janwillem van der Wetering (Netherlands) & Jacqueline Winspear (Historical mystery). (bored yet? Well, next is the bottom shelf. 

Bottom Shelf Part 1 - This is a catchall containing a variety of mysteries. They are all alphabetical and contain new mysteries and classics, from Belinda Bauer to Ann Cleeves, Howard Engel, Frances Fyfield, etc.

Bottom Shelf Part 2 - In this photo, we go from H -  R, including books from Susan Hill, Jo Nesbo, Richard Osman, Lori Rader Day, etc. S - Z will be found tomorrow in the Center portion.

I hope you're all finding this somewhat interesting. I do like reading, buying and talking about books. Enjoy the last two days of 2023!

2 comments:

  1. I find it fascinating! I read quite a bit, but obviously not as many as you, as when I look at these shelves, I can only find about 10 that I've read. Mostly the Jo Nesbo books. Are mysteries your favourite genre to read? Do you get a book in a series and then, if you like it, search out the rest? Do you mostly shop in used book stores? I find it hard to jump back to a series that I've read only part of, as I'm not as connected to the characters after a break, so it amazes me that you can jump around so readily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mystery and Science Fiction are my favorites. I have focused on mysteries in the past few years but I'm getting into Sci Fi again. I try to work my series from the beginning and do get hooked on buying more of a series if I like the first. Of late I'm just trying to buy the next one. I like used book stores, but I like to support the local new book stores too. Hard to find books I search online, usually Abe Books.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails