Wednesday 29 December 2021

2022 Reading Challenges - Part Deux

We had a brief power outage today, first time in a long time. It only lasted an hour or so which was a good thing as we're also going through a bit of a cold spell. Nothing like other parts of Canada, but cold for us.

Yesterday, I presented my first Reading Challenge of 2022. Today I'll look at my Individual Challenges (there are 3). Basically I've divided my unread books into 3 groups, those I've purchased the longest time ago, the middle group and the newest purchases.

1. My Dusty Library (as of today, 29 Dec, that would be books #1 - 428). My plan is to start with my dustiest book, the first book on my want to read list.

1. Gideon's Wrath by J.J. Marric (Gideon #13 / Oct 2010).

"Commander George Gideon of Scotland Yard is working on an intriguing case involving a mysterious man who is known to photograph young girls in the nude and the girls then vanish. He is also attempting to deal with serious internal problems at the Yard when yet another case comes in. There have been several cases of vandalism in major churches and cathedrals, and an anonymous caller has reported a thief in one church. It doesn't take long for Gideon to work out that the churches are threatened with far more than theft and vandalism."

2. The Middle Ground (as of today, that would be books #429 - 856). My plan would be to read the middle book of all my books, #642.

#642. Maigret at the Crossroads by Georges Simenon (#7)







""She came forward, the outlines of her figure blurred in the half-light. She came forward like a film star, or rather like the ideal woman in an adolescent's dream. 'I gather you wish to talk to me, Inspector . . . but first of all please sit down . . .' Her accent was more pronounced than Carl's. Her voice sang, dropping on the last syllable of the longer words."

Maigret has been interrogating Carl Andersen for seventeen hours without a confession. He's either innocent or a very good liar. So why was the body of a diamond merchant found at his isolated mansion? Why is his sister always shut away in her room? And why does everyone at Three Widows Crossroads have something to hide?"

3. Newest Books (as of today that would be #857 - Infinity) I plan to start off with my most recent purchase then probably use a random number generator for the rest, but we'll see about that.

#1284. Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (2021 / purchased Dec 22, 2021)

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ryland Grace is the sole survivor on a desperate, last-chance mission—and if he fails, humanity and the Earth itself will perish.

Except that right now, he doesn't know that. He can't even remember his own name, let alone the nature of his assignment or how to complete it.

All he knows is that he's been asleep for a very, very long time. And he's just been awakened to find himself millions of miles from home, with nothing but two corpses for company.

His crewmates dead, his memories fuzzily returning, he realizes that an impossible task now confronts him. Alone on this tiny ship that's been cobbled together by every government and space agency on the planet and hurled into the depths of space, it's up to him to conquer an extinction-level threat to our species.

And thanks to an unexpected ally, he just might have a chance."

So there you go. In my next post, I'll look at my monthly focus challenge. Enjoy the rest of your week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails