Friday 20 August 2021

New Books and Women Authors

Owiee!
Jo and I had our Shingrix (for shingles) vaccination this morning at our local pharmacy. It hurt briefly, but both feeling ok so far. I had shingles when I was much younger but not for many, many moons. 

I have lost a bit & yes that's the family smile...
We did a bit of clothes shopping afterwards, new clothes to fit our dieting bodies. We both are feeling great. I had a nice run / walk this morning. Back at the beginning of the year I was just walking but I'm now I'm running / walking, basically 35 minutes running and 15 minutes walking. It's so nice being able to get back to running again. I kind of alternate with the stationary cycle every second day. Jo and I decided to get one as we both started exercising more. Oh for lunch we had a piece of a yummy cheese cake that Jo made the other day; along with a variety of fruit; honeydew melon, strawberries, cherries, a nectarine and I included a kiwi and blueberries in mine. Jo is making a spaghetti for dinner with cauliflower rice. I haven't talked much about our dieting but it's been successful for us both and I'm so proud of how determined Jo has been.

So anyway, let's see about books. I received two books in the mail on the last day of the week, one by a new author for me, the other a series continuation. I'll provide the synopses of both books. I'll also continue with my ongoing look at women authors whose books I've been enjoying; starting the letter 'F' today.

New Books

1. The Big Jump by Leigh Brackett (1955). This is the 2nd book I've purchased by screenwriter / author Leigh Brackett, the other was a noir mystery. This one is in the SciFi genre.






"All signs pointed to the fact that no human could come back alive from Barnard's Star. Something elusive, beyond comprehension, existed out there; something that was a perpetual bait, a perpetual trap. But Arch Comyn knew he had to join that second fated mission. For somewhere beyond the veil of the Transuranae lay the answer to the question that was more important than life to him."

2. Come Death and High Water by Ann Cleeves (George & Molly #2). Ann Cleeves have been my August focus author and I read the 1st George & Molly book as my first selection. I'm currently enjoying the 3rd book in the Shetland mystery series. I hope to read one more book by Cleeves (maybe one from the Vera mystery series( but it depends if I can finish Red Bones this weekend, I think).




"The privately-owned island of Gillibry off the North Devon coast is the perfect site for murder. A routine weekend visit by the Gillibry Bird Observatory Trust is made memorable by the owner's announcement that he is going to sell the island. A sale would mean the end of the Observatory...and of all that, for some of them, made life worth living. A fire in Charlie Todd's cottage added to their distress. And when, next morning, after a fierce storm, they found Charlie dead in a bird hide, their pleasant September weekend assumed a dangerous new face. Charlie Todd's murder can be seen as the deed of any member of the Trust. And it falls to one of their own, George Palmer-Jones, to unravel the identity of killer within their midst."

Women Authors I'm Enjoying - Elizabeth Ferrars

Elizabeth Ferrars
Elizabeth Ferrars was a British mystery writer. She was born in Rangoon, Burma in 1907 and died in 1995. Over the course of her life, she was a prolific writer of both series and standalone works. Since I first tried her books in the early 2000's I've managed to read 4 of her books. I'll highlight the last three.

1. Murder of a Suicide (1941).

"When Toby Dyke and his companion, George, get caught in torrential rain one night, they are surprised to find that they are not the only ones out in such a fierce storm: Edgar Prees, aging botanist of prestige and reputation, is attempting to commit suicide by jumping off a cliff top.

The two men drive Edgar home, collapsed and shaken. When he is then found the following morning shot dead with his own revolver, it seems that his attempt at suicide has succeeded - but is the case really as clear-cut as it appears?" (3 stars)

2. The Crime and the Crystal (Andrew Basnett #3 / 1985).







"Christmas in Adelaide promises to be a pleasant vacation for Andrew Basnett, retired professor of botany and amateur sleuth. But the shadow of an unsolved murder hangs over the lives of his hosts, Tony and Jan Gardiner. The police still suspect Jan of her first husband's murder and it doesn't help when a second killing takes place under the same bizarre circumstances. What can a guest do in such a case but try to clear his hostess and solve the crime?" (3 stars)

3. The Cup and the Lip (1975).







"I've read three other books by Elizabeth Ferrars; Skeleton Staff, The Crime and the Crystal and Murder of a Suicide and for the most part enjoyed them. The Cup and the Lip was also entertaining. It moves along at a nice clip and kept me interested in what was happening.

Author Dan Braile has a number of friends, fellow writers for the most part, up at his home, Gray Gables. He is to take part in a question and answer session with some of his compatriots and the local arts society. But Dan has been ill for awhile and friend Peter is asked to come up from London to replace him in the session. Strangely, Dan thinks he's being poisoned, maybe by one of his visitors so Peter gets involved in that mystery.

After the function, Dan disappears and another acquaintance, Rolfe, shows up. As the group tries to find Dan and wonder whether they should call the police as well, a dead body is discovered.

 So there you go, many questions to be answered and they are all explored. Is Dan being poisoned? Is one of his guests the perpetrator? Why would someone want to poison him? Whose body is discovered?
The book keeps you entertained and the ultimate solution was satisfying. I enjoyed. (3 stars)"

The complete listing of Ferrars' books can be found at this link. Have a great weekend. Stay safe and get vaccinated. 😷

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails