Sunday 5 April 2020

A Quick Look at the Science Fiction Novel Then Maybe a Bit of Yard Work

This will probably be a quick post. Not a whole heck of a lot to say since yesterday's. Jo and I watched a fun farce on YouTube, a play put on by the National Theater. It's a play by and starring James Corden, called One Man, Two Guvnors. It's their way of keeping things going during the pandemic. Next week's entry will be Jane Eyre. You can donate to the site to help out the actors and others involved. This was lots of fun once we got into it.

It looked something like this
Last night when I took out the dogs for their last walk of the night, it was clear and frosty. When I looked up I had an astounding view of a halo around the moon. It was stunning, a circle of clouds around the moon. I got Jo to come out and see it, it was that stunning. I took the picture above from a google search; it's from a site called spaceweather.com. Check it out. Anyway, it was beautiful..

I went out briefly this morning to pick up a few things, my first trip out since Wednesday. Jo and I are trying to stick to social distancing as much as possible. When I got up, she already had the patio doors open. It's sunny and fresh today.

So, no books finished last night although I may finish one tonight. I'm enjoying all of them so far. Now on to my look at the Science Fiction novel (Ed. Note. It does seem that more and more I'm focusing on Fantasy than pure Sci-Fi, but that's just an indication of where my taste is leaning when it comes to that genre, I suppose).

The Science Fiction Novel - Ransom Riggs

Ransom Riggs
Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. Ransom Riggs is an American film maker and author, best known for his series of books featuring Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children. As of 2020, there are 5 books in the series. A film, based on the first book was released in 2016. I've read the first book so far, one of those series I avoided for awhile, but I'm so glad that I finally decided to try it. Riggs has created a fascinating world. I have the next two books on my shelf to read.

1. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2011).

"What a technically perfect a story and concept Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is! It's a book I'd thought about reading for awhile but once I finally bought it, it sat somewhat neglected on my bookshelf. It was selected as a challenge book for me and I'm glad it was.

We meet sixteen year old Jacob, a bit of a loner, who lives with his parents in Florida. Jacob is greatly influenced by his grandfather who tells him stories of his childhood at a school in Wales. He shows Jacob pictures of strange children; one floating, one holding a large boulder, etc. Jacob can't believe his grandfather's stories are real but then when his grandfather is tragically murdered, he finds other clues.

Jacob and his father head off to the island off the coast of Wales; Jacob's father to try to get ideas for a book, Jacob to try and find Miss Peregrine's school and see if her grandfather was telling the truth. Thus begins a fascinating adventure for Jacob which involves time travel, 'peculiar' children, and ultimately a battle against others who would destroy Miss Peregrine and her children.

It's a fascinating concept and there are many unique features to the story that offer unique aspects such as the photos of the children who people the story. The photos play an important role in telling this story and are part of the reason the story was thought of. The characters themselves are also interesting and the concept of the time loop is well described and makes an added interesting part of this story. It took me awhile to get totally engrossed in the story and the people, but all in all, I enjoyed very much and look forward to reading the next book, Hollow City, to discover the children's further adventures as they try to battle the wights and Hollowgasts. Try it. (4.5 stars)"

2. Hollow City (2014).











"September 3, 1940. Ten peculiar children flee an army of deadly monsters. And only one person can help them — but she’s trapped in the body of a bird.

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. There, they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. And before Jacob can deliver the peculiar children to safety, he must make an important decision about his love for Emma Bloom.

Hollow City draws readers into a richly imagined world of telepathy and time loops, of sideshows and shapeshifters. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with never-before-published vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience."


3. Library of Souls (2015).













"As the story opens, sixteen-year-old Jacob discovers a powerful new ability, and soon he’s diving through history to rescue his peculiar companions from a heavily guarded fortress. Accompanying Jacob on his journey are Emma Bloom, a girl with fire at her fingertips, and Addison MacHenry, a dog with a nose for sniffing out lost children.

They’ll travel from modern-day London to the labyrinthine alleys of Devil’s Acre, the most wretched slum in all of Victorian England. It’s a place where the fate of peculiar children everywhere will be decided once and for all."


The complete listing of Riggs' work can be found at this link.


Enjoy your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails