Wednesday 4 December 2019

Day 4 - My Xmas Month Countdown - A Book and a Song

It's the middle of the week, hump day... garbage day on my street and it's kind of rainy. Perry Mason starts in 40 minutes so let's get this post done and then I'll make the missus a cuppa and bring her some short bread to eat while we enjoy the show. Funny how much enjoyment we've been getting out these old TV shows; Perry Mason, Cannon, Barnaby Jones, Mannix. Anyway, I digress. Below are my Day 4 book and song.

Book 22

Anthony Trollope
Anthony Trollope - Phineas Finn

Anthony Trollope was born in London in 1815 and lived until 1882. He was a prolific writer, with many single novels, the Barchester Chronicles and a series I've begun the past couple of years, those being the Palliser novels. He wrote six books in this series. I read the first Can You Forgive Her? last year and enjoyed immensely. This year I took on the second, Phineas Finn and enjoyed that one just as much. I have the third book, The Eustace Diamonds, sitting on my bookshelves and may try it next year.

"Phineas Finn is the second book in the Palliser series by Victorian author, Anthony Trollope. As simply put as possible, the story follows young Irish lawyer, Phineas Finn, as he arrives in London, finishes his legal education and decides to run for Parliament.

He arrives with no money other than his father's allowance, no prospects and no love life. He has left behind Mary Flood Jones, who loves him, but who Phineas feels he can't yet offer any sort of life.  Thus begins Phineas's journey in London, a journey of romance(s), of life in government and of his rise up the ladder and then, well, I won't ruin how it ends.

Call it a Victorian soap opera, but an interesting one for sure. We do get some people crossing over from the first book, namely my favorite character Lady Glencora Palliser, but for the most part, this story is filled with new personages. You have, of course, Phineas, but also those people who he meets and gains friendship with from his days in government; Barrington Erle, Mr. Monk, Lord Brentford, etc. We also meet those women whose paths Phineas crosses throughout the story, Lady Laura, Violet Effingham and the lovely Madame Goesler (my favorite).

There is much more politics in this story which adds to the interest. Personally, Finn's dealings with the Canada 'issue' definitely added to my interest, being Canadian and all. :0) But of course, there is romance, attempts, failures, duels, etc. It's a long story, but all the same a very interesting one. Anthony Trollope isn't a George Eliot by any means but he still spins a neat tale. I enjoyed it very much, being very frustrated by the frustrating attempts for romance, not just by Phineas, but by all of the main characters really. But that didn't really matter in the long run, it just added to the story.

The next book in the series is The Eustace Diamonds and I'll wait a bit to start it, but now that I'm into the Palliser series, I do want to continue. (4 stars)"

Song 22


Twenty One Pilot
The Hype by Twenty One Pilots



Twenty One Pilots formed in 2009 and is an American band formed in Columbus Ohio consisting of Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun. Since their formation in 2009, they have released 5 albums, their latest, Trench, came out in 2018. At times I've had various of their songs on my USB. The Hype is their most recent single and it reached #3 in the US charts. According to the write-up, the song explores themes of perseverance, loyalty and the weight of fame.

Hoping today's selections will help get you over the hump of midweek. Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails