Friday 9 March 2018

Bill's Scientifically Calculated Top 100 Books of All-Time Part 9

The countdown is winding down. We're getting to the heavy hitters now! The excitement is palpable. So while the missus and I watch Nicolle Wallace and Deadline: White House, let's get into the 'teens.

#20 - 11

20. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (Science Fiction). This has long been one of my favourite Science Fiction books. I remember my sister telling me about the movie when we lived in Chatham. I finally read the book and have since read it 4 or 5 times. One of the classics. There have been varied TV mini-series as well, one by the BBC being a favorite of mine.






"When a freak cosmic event renders most of the Earth's population blind, Bill Masen is one of the lucky few to retain his sight. The London he walks is crammed with groups of men and women needing help, some ready to prey on those who can still see. But another menace stalks blind and sighted alike. With nobody to stop their spread the Triffids, mobile plants with lethal stingers and carnivorous appetites, seem set to take control."

19. Peyton Place by Grace Metalious (Fiction). As a kid growing up in Chatham, New Brunswick, I remember watching Peyton Place, the TV series, which starred Ryan O'Neal, Mia Farrow and Barbara Parkins, etc. I think I had a bit of a crush on Barbara Parkins. A few years back, Jo and I watched the original movie on TCM. It made me start searching a bit and I discovered this book. I finally found a copy and when I finally got around to reading it, found it to be an excellent story. It was definitely Grace Metalious' most successful effort.




"Excellent story. I was drawn in right from the start and enjoyed it throughout. I had seen portions of the movie based on the book and also as a youngster, vaguely recall watching the TV series. Once I heard there was a book, I had to try it out and I wasn't disappointed. It was similar in some ways to books like; The Heart is a Lonely Hunter and To Kill a Mockingbird, especially in the aspect of telling a story from a small town perspective. But it was also very different, as it focused on the secrets that guide people's lives in small towns. I liked so many of the characters, but each had their flaws and their positive aspects. I liked Constance McKenzie; she was a strong independent woman and she helped Selena and her mother, providing work to them. (But she also has many faults; is three-dimensional) I liked Selena, a strong young lady, who lived on the wrong side of the tracks and had tribulations like you won't believe, but who tries to work through them and make something of herself. There were characters who you can't like, as in any community, close-minded, snappish, maybe even evil people. But it's a community and Grace Metallious tells it in such an interesting style. I like how she switches from character to character and their stories, e.g. Alison walking down the street and looking at a neighbor's house, then the story moving onto that person. I'm glad that I finally read this excellent book and I highly recommend. Fascinating and a true gem."

18. Perdido Street Station by China Mieville (Science Fiction / Fantasy). I can't exactly remember where I heard of Mieville. I may just have seen this book in one of my local book stores. But what a world Mieville has created and what fascinating beings.





"Wow! My first exposure to China Mieville's writing and I'm so very impressed. Call it a combination science fiction/ fantasy. China has created such a unique world in New Crobuzon and wonderfully described and written characters and species. New Crobuzon is a city that is built beneath the ribs of some ancient creature. It is filled with humans, other species and also remade creatures (a form of punishment) and also mechanical creatures. It's basically a dictatorship masked as a democracy. Crime is rife, the city is a maze of districts and it's all so interesting. The story is a slow - burn at first; rebel scientist Isaac is asked by a garuda (a flying creature) to help him get his wings back, as they had been removed as a punishment. Isaac's girlfriend, a khedri (an insectoid - type creature) is an artist who has been commissioned by the city's biggest criminal, to do a statue of him/ her (he is a 'remade' to the extreme). Isaac, while exploring theories of flight, has a petty thief, find him specimens of as many flying creatures as he can, including eggs, so he can explore flight and see how he can help the garuda. Unfortunately, one of the eggs contains a slake moth (one of the most horrific fictional beasts you will ever read about, I think) and when it hatches, it escapes and sets in motion the rest of the story. The City governors have had 4 other adult slake moths as prisoners. When they all escape, the whole city is in danger. This leads to the 2nd half of the story, a fascinating chase by Isaac, Derkhan, another friend and my favourite character and the garuda to try and stop the Slake Moths. I hope I haven't told too much of the story; just suffice to say it's fascinating and worth the read. 5 stars (I've since ordered the next book about the New Crobuzon world, Scar (although it's supposedly not necessarily a sequel). I can't wait!!"

17. A Death in Town by Hilary Waugh (Mystery). This is one of two mysteries by American crime writer, Hilary Waugh, since 2014 and both were excellent. A Death in Town was a clear favorite.









"Excellent, excellent! This is the second mystery I've read by Hillary Waugh and I loved both of them. Such a unique way of presenting a mystery. The first was Last Seen Wearing, which I enjoyed very much. This was no different. Basically the plot revolves around the murder and rape of a young teenage girl in a small town in Connecticut. The way this is presented is via a series of interviews of the town citizens, from the family of the murdered girl through various others. As well, there are records of meetings of the police board and the town council. He portrays small town attitudes and how they change as the investigation drags on. Racism and other attitudes of intolerance begin to come to the fore; innocents are accused and their lives turned upside down. And the ending is so surprising and almost had me out of breath. I found this to be one of those books I couldn't put down. As it developed, I had to read a few more pages, then a few more, until I had to get to the end. I can't recommend more."

16. The Soft Talkers by Margaret Millar (Mystery). I've enjoyed all of the books I've read by Canadian writer, Margaret Millar. This has been the best book of hers by far. It was also published under the name, An Air That Kills.








"I've read a couple of Margaret Millar's stories before; they can be hard to find. I enjoyed them quite a bit, as she has a very accessible writing style. The Soft Talkers, also published under the name An Air That Kills was a pleasure to read. It was a perfect little mystery. Millar has such a smooth writing style, even little details like "she buttoned up her sweater to the very top", fill the story and make it even better. The story basically deals with the disappearance of Ron Galloway, who is supposed to meet his buddies at a cabin he owns north of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He never shows up and the rest of the story deals with the follow-on reactions of his friends and family and the follow-on search for him. The story is told from the perspective of his various friends and his wife and also even small sub-stories by side characters. Even these sub-stories are interesting and so well-written. It's a story that I just enjoyed reading and the ending had a nice surprise that I actually didn't see coming. Being Canadian, I also enjoyed the setting; the city of Toronto and cottage country north of Toronto. The story was written in 1957 and in some ways reminds me of some of the Patricia Highsmith stories I've read, just better. Such a simple but entertaining read, clear, concise and intelligently written. I highly recommend."

15. Nicholas Nickleby by Charles Dickens (Classic). When I was in high school I read Dickens' The Pickwick Papers. That was it until I decided to try this book. I must say I've kind of intimidated about trying his works as they look to be so long. I'm glad I decided to finally give it a try.








"Back during my high school days, and I shudder to think it was 50 years ago, I read The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens and I recall enjoying it very much. However such is my memory I may be wrong. ;0) Anyway, it took me that long to try another book by Dickens. Over the past couple of years I've been exploring the Classics more and in Jul, decided to try Nicholas Nickleby. I had an old copy of this story. Not sure when it was published but the illustrations by W.H.C. Groome lead me to believe it was published in 1907.
Anyway, enough administrative details, what about the story? Simply put, I loved it. Dickens' writing style is so accessible and entertaining. He creates wonderful characters who you find yourself becoming very invested in. The story starts off with Nicholas and his mother and sister, Kate, being placed in dire circumstances. Their father has died recently, leaving the family without income. Uncle Ralph, not a nice man, sends Nicholas off to be a teacher at a boys school in Yorkshire and then provides poor lodgings for Kate and her mother, also getting Kate a job as a dressmaker. In both instances, both Nicholas and Kate are treated horribly. Things look so very grim. Nicholas finds the treatment of the boys at the school to be abominable, especially that of Smike, a boy or more rather a young man, who has been at the school for years and is the special punching bag of Squeers and his wife. Nicholas finally can't take it anymore and after thrashing Squeers leaves with Smike to return to London.
This is the barest introduction to Nicholas Nickleby, so much more is to happen. You meet such wonderful characters as Newman Noggs, hard worked clerk for Ralph Nickleby, who does everything in his power to help the family, Vincent Crummles, leader of a roving band of actors, who takes in Nicholas and Smike, the Cheeryble brothers who provide so much generous assistance to the Nickleby family, even Miss La Creevy, the lovely lady who is such a good friend. And then the villains, the Squeers, Ralph Nickleby, and Mulberry Hawk, who wants to abuse Kate, etc.
Getting to know these characters as the story develops makes it such fascinating reading. Wanting to find out how everything will resolve makes you turn page after page. It's a very long story but it doesn't seem so. I won't say how everything turns out. There are so many varied possibilities. Ultimately I was left very satisfied. Dickens is a great writer and story teller. I will have to now try another of his books, and I'll ensure it doesn't take me 50 years to try another."


14. Behind the Scenes at the Museum by Kate Atkinson (Fiction). I've mentioned Atkinson's Jackson Brodie mysteries in a previous entry; Case Histories was listed as #24 in my Top 100. Behind the Scenes is a different kind of story and excellent.








"What a beautiful, wonderful, funny, sad, lovely novel Behind the Scenes at the Museum is. The novel was the debut for Kate Atkinson. I'd already read a couple of her Jackson Brodie mysteries and enjoyed them very much. While this novel displayed her wonderful story - telling abilities, it is so different. Basically it is the history of a family, as told by Ruby (Bunty) Lennox. It follows Ruby and her sisters as they grow up in York, England but also tracks back to her descendants, her mother, Bunty's parents and grand-parents and her siblings. That's the story at its simplest. Atkinson tells it so wonderfully, filling each page with beautifully crafted scenes and events. Some are so funny, e.g. the family road trip to Scotland. Some are desperately sad, Edmund's last minutes in a bomber over Germany. You feel each and every little story within the larger context of Ruby's growing up. After each couple of chapters, there are footnotes, where we meet the descendants, Edmund, Lillian, Lawrence. I found myself asking my wife, who is from England, what various references were, TV shows that Ruby watched, toys they played with, etc. Not crucial to enjoying the story, but still nice to add that additional texture. It's a family with secrets, as I imagine most families have, and they all tie together by the end. There are neat little path crossings of characters throughout the story and by the end, some revelations that will complete the whole story. I found myself running through the whole gamut of emotions, anger at times, sadness, happiness. I found myself chuckling at bits and having to read those portions to the missus. At the end, even as it wound up satisfactorily, I felt an ache in my heart and had to get a big hug. Wonderful story of family history, in the same vein as some of my other favorites, like The Poisonwood Bible, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, To Kill a Mockingbird and The World According to Garp. So glad I read it finally.  I will continue reading the Jackson Brodie mysteries and her other standalone books. Atkinson is a great author."

13. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Classic). This is another of the classics I've tried the past few years that I'm enjoying so very much. I've also enjoyed Charlotte's The Professor and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Charlotte's sister, Anne, and even though I read Wuthering Heights in high school, I'll have to try it again.







"Great story. I had great difficulty putting it down. Jane is a fantastic character; strong, intelligent, independent. I liked how she stood up to her cousin, how well she did at the boarding school she was sent to (as an outcast) and how she performed at Rochester's home when she became governess to his ward, the lovely Adelie. Even with the 'plot device' as my wife calls it, which kind of makes you go, 'yeah right', it's a fantastic story; a love story, a Gothic romance at times, an adventure (Jane's life is an adventure) and just a great work of fiction. There were characters I liked very much; Mrs Fairfax (Rochester's house keeper), who treats Jane so caringly, after a life of much tribulation for Jane; St. John's sisters, Diana and Mary, both lovely, who take in Jane and make her part of their family; even the headmistress of the boarding school, who loves her charges, even under the strictures of the school's Master. The scenes with Rochester's 'wife' are quite intense and even spooky. The description of the north of England, where the story takes place, is well - described. The story is excellent, the characters well-developed and I'm glad that I read it finally. I guess I'll now have to try Charlotte Bronte's sister's, Wuthering Heights again now.."

12. The Far Country by Nevil Shute (Fiction). Many of Shute's later books were set in Australia. This was on such. My continued exploration of Shute's writing has uncovered a treasure trove of fascinating, wonderful stories.









"In its way, it's a relatively simple story, but I love Shute's style. He tells a story gently, lovingly and at the same time, matter of factly (Is that a proper word? :0)). At its core it's a love story, but it represents its time as well. Set after WWII, England is struggling to feed its people, life is hard; whereas in counterpoint, in Australia, the frontier so to speak, life is pretty good. Wool prices are high, money is good, there is work available. Helen goes to England at the request of her auntie, who thinks Australia might represent England more from her time in the early 1900s. Helen visits with an Aunt and her family, meets Carl, a Czech doctor, who works in the forest as a lumberman. As a Displaced Person from the war, he must work where the Australians let him, for 2 years as a sort of payment for being allowed to live in Australia. He can then work towards getting his Doctor's certificate. The two meet under very interesting circumstances, a friendship/ relationship develops. This is the simple story, but there is so much more. Shute doesn't get involved in the politics of the time, other than in the background as it affects peoples' lives, but he does present an excellent picture of the time, contrasting life in England and Australia very nicely and very simply. It's a lovely story, not one I would have picked earlier in my life, I don't think, but the more I read Nevil Shute's stories (two of my all-time favorites are his, On the Beach and Pied Piper) the more I enjoy his writing and the more of his books I want to read. Highly recommended."

11. The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (Classic). Of the classics I've enjoyed in the past few years, those of George Eliot are among my very favorites.









"Such an excellent classic. I had read George Eliot's Daniel Deronda last year and loved her writing style. She writes with intelligence and emotion. The Mill on the Floss tells the story of Maggie Tulliver and her family, father and mother and brother Tom. Her father owns the mill of the title. It has been in his family for generations. Due to various dealings, a lost court case and debts, he loses the mill and ends up working for the lawyer, Wakem, who he had the court case against. Maggie is a beautiful, head strong girl, a difficult way to be in the time of this story. She loves Wakem's son, Phillip, a disabled young man, but due to her father's strong feelings against that family, they must meet in secret. There are many tragedies in this story, the family's bankruptcy, the father's illness as a result of losing the court case, his death, Maggie's tragic loves, etc. The story is told in seven sub-stories, as Maggie and Tom grow up. Tom is her brother, she loves him dearly and craves his returned love. It is his intransigence, that keeps her and Phillip apart and leads to other tragedies. I liked many of the characters, especially Maggie's cousin, Lucy, who loves and cares for Maggie dearly. The story moves easily through Maggie's life and as you get used to the language of the day, and this isn't a hard prospect as Eliot writes so well, you will get into the flow of the story. The ending left me feeling very sad and bereft, especially that it took this final event to bring brother and sister back together. Excellent story..."

So there you go. My next entry will have my Top Ten.. :)

Now for an Honorable Mention.

Honorable Mention

Like many people, I've become hooked on the Scandinavian mysteries; Jo Nesbo's Harry Hole books, Stieg Larsson's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books, Jussi Adler Olsen's Department Q series, Henning Mankell's Wallander series, etc. I'd like to mention one more writer, Swedish writer Karin Alvtegen. She is unique in that she writes stand-alone mysteries; more in the vein of Minette Walters or Margaret Millar. Five of her books have been translated so far and I've enjoyed four very much.

1. Betrayal. "By the prize-winning author of Missing Eva, a dynamic, successful young mother, is forced to reassess her marriage when her husband's apathy can no longer be ignored. Then she discovers he's been having an affair with her young son's day-care teacher and her grief and rage drive her into vengeful action. Fatefully, she comes across Jonas, an isolated young man who for the past two years has been keeping vigil beside his obstinately comatose girlfriend. Burdened with his own sinister history of betrayal and his quest for acceptance, he sees a chance to start afresh with Eva. When Jonas and Eva react to redress their wrongs, the combination proves lethal.."




2. Shame. "Two women are trapped by a past that won't let go. At first sight, Monika and Maj-Britt are as different as two people can be. They have nothing in common but the determination to obliterate their memories. But then a tragic car accident briefly brings them face to face and forces them to confront the emotional voids and secret sadnesses they have been trying to bury. A suspenseful, psychological thriller, Shame reveals the ordinary days of the odd and lonely as they twist into self-destruction—and holds out a glimmering hope of redemption and acceptance."




3. Shadow.  "Gerda Persson has lain dead for three days. Her life seems to have been quite ordinary. Until the freezer in her home is opened. It is full of books, neatly stacked and wrapped in clingfilm, a thick layer of ice covering them - all by the same prize-winning author, all with handwritten dedications to Gerda. What story do these books have to tell? And what is their connection to a young boy found abandoned in an amusement park?"






4. Missing. "Karin Alvtegen -- without any training or thought of becoming a novelist - resolved to write her way out of some family tragedies: The result was her first novel, Guilt (Skuld), which was published in Sweden in 1998, to rave reviews. This was followed in 2000 by Missing (Saknad), which won Scandinavia's prestigious Glass Key award for Best Crime Novel of the Year, and went on to win an award for bestselling Scandinavian paperback. Her third novel, Betrayal (Svek) -- coming next year from Felony & Mayhem -- was shortlisted for the Glass Key award, and also for the Swedish Crime Writers Academy award for Best Swedish Crime Novel of the year. And Swedish reviewers have called Alvtegen's most recent novel, Shame (Skam) (also to come from Felony & Mayhem) her finest novel to date -- the work, in the words of one critic, of a modern-day Strindberg. Karin Alvtegen is the great-niece of Astrid Lundgren, author of the ever-popular Pippi Longstocking books."

I highly recommend her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails