Sunday 12 November 2017

New Books Part 2

Yesterday I posted the books that I purchased while I was in North Bay, Ontario visiting my Dad last weekend. On my return to Ottawa with my older brother, we stopped at The Book Bazaar on Bank Street on my way to the airport. I found 3 books there. On my return home to Comox, I discovered that two books had also arrived in the mail. So for today's entry, I'll cover those five books.

The Book Bazaar, Bank Street, Ottawa Ontario

1. John Sanford - Eyes of Prey. This is the third book in the Lucas Davenport mystery / thriller series, so far entertaining and full of action. The synopsis is below.










"Lieutenant Davenport's sanity was nearly shattered by two murder investigations. Now he faces something worse... Two killers. One hideously scarred. The other strikingly handsome, a master manipulator fascinated with all aspects of death. The dark mirror of Davenport's soul... This is the case that will bring Davenport back to life. Or push him over the edge."

2. James Herbert - The Survivor. I've read a couple of Herbert's horror stories so far; The Secret of Crickley Hall and The Fog and enjoyed them both.










"It began with a faint whispering, then a low, evil chuckle. A shiver of fear coursed along his spine. Then he saw them - the long, pointed fingers, each with a life of its own, slithering toward him. And suddenly the hideous hand with nothing behind it was reaching out to grasp him in the grisly, intimately cold embrace of death...
It had been one of the worst crashes in airline history, killing over 300 people, and leaving only one survivor. Now the dead were buried and the town of Eton tried to forget... Until the young girl was found, screaming hysterically about malevolently grinning dolls and creatures of darkness. Until the fisherman's body was brought ashore, his face set in a grimace of utter terror. Until the priest was discovered cringing beneath the altar. Then the town was forced to face the shocking, dreadful truth about what was buried in the old graveyard..."

3. Adam Hall - The Warsaw Document.This is the 4th book in the Quiller series. I haven't yet tried it but I'm looking forward to starting it.











"The deadline was close and I knew now what London had sent me out here to do: define, infiltrate and destroy. And I couldn't do it just by standing in the way of the program Moscow was running. I'd have to get inside and blow it up from there."
Across the black snowscape of Poland's capital, a city where winter is more than a season, falls the shadow of a British Intelligence operation designed to save detente from explosion--an operation that pivots on an agent callously thrown into the front line of the Cold War and caught in the crossfire"

Golden Bridge Books, Ottawa ON

4. Adam Diment - The Dolly Dolly Spy. I read about Diment when they listed this book in the back of another book I was reading. He only wrote 4 books featuring spy Philip McAlpine, then he disappeared.









"The most modern hero in years... He's hip, he's hard, he likes birds, and, sometimes, marijuana... Philip McAlpine 'The latest instant hero of fiction. He is the contemporary Bond...McAlpine is a Secret Service agent, too. He also has the same obsessive interest in sex. But about there they part company... The Dolly Dolly Spy - There is any amount of violence and almost everybody is threatened with torture or rape or both...very efficient, not too jagged and extremely easy to read."

Blue Poppy Publishing

5. Joni Dee - And the Wolf Shall Dwell. The author had his publisher send the book to me. Much appreciated. I'm looking forward to trying it.










"Imagine being knocked over by a strange old man on a cold London morning...
The man delivers a garbled message about the Queen...
Moments later he falls under the wheels of a train...
The media calls it suicide, but you know better - something doesn't quite add up...
That was the start of the day for John Daniel, a foreign professional working in the City of London.
Meanwhile, retired MI6 agent Adam Grey receives a call from an old informant: 'Your service is rotten..."
Soon Adam is dragged out of retirement, and John is dragged into the murky world of international espionage, politics, and jihadi terrorism.
An intense and explosive thriller that hits frighteningly close to the truth for a work of fiction."

So there you go. Next I'll talk about the books I found in Victoria.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails