It's a rainy Saturday and the missus and I are relaxing with the puppies, watching various sporting activities on the TV; Premiership footie earlier (Go Everton!!), Skins curling match at the moment, then the Canadian National Figure Skating Championships afterwards. A nice way to spend a gloomy, breezy Saturday.
So let's see, what to talk about today? Let's start with a book update. I finally managed to finish off my first two books of 2014. I don't think I've been as dedicated to my reading, what with enjoying my time with Jo, work, blogging, playing with the dogs, etc, but I've enjoyed the two books I've read so far.
Thoughts on Music
I was updating my usb yesterday while the missus was out. (as an aside, it's been one of the most successful things we've ever purchased. I love plugging it in to the car and just letting the music flow, either mine or Jo's). I've got about 550 songs on it so it takes awhile to listen to all of the songs. There are a few that I always look forward to hearing, no matter how many times they come; I never delete them when I update my song list. So, here I am, looking for an excuse for a Top Ten List, this is my list of ten of my favourite usb selections, in no particular order (if you click on the song title, it should take you to the song) -
1. Belinda Carlisle - Sun I do like Belinda Carlisle's music, whether with The Gogos or as a solo artist. This was her last release as a single, released in 2013. I like the song and the lyrics.
2. Lisa Stansfield - Face Up There had to be a Lisa Stansfield song in my list as she's been one of my favourite artists this past few years. Love her voice, the music, everything about her music. This song was one of the songs on her Face Up album from 2001.
3. Sarah Harmer - Almost Sarah Harmer is a Canadian singer-songwriter and this song came out in 2004. It's got an interesting instrumental and I like the way the song flows. It suits her voice to a tee. Excellent song.
4. Thin Lizzy - Dancing in the Moonlight I heard this song for the first time in 2013 even though it came out in 1977. My only real experience with Thin Lizzy music was their 1976 song, The Boys are Back in Town, a great driving song. But this was so different, it's really caught my attention and I like the music, the jazzy/ rock style. Excellent song.
5. The Stranglers - Golden Brown - This song came out in 1982 and was one of those I had not heard until recently. The keyboard is fantastic and the beat grabs me. Lovely song.
6. The Veronicas - This Love The first song I heard by the Veronicas was Untouched and I loved it, especially the orchestration, it was very powerful. Since then they've become one of my favourite groups, they have such a versatile style. This song is such a lovely ballad. The two sisters are very talented.
7. Thea Gilmore - Love Came Looking for Me I heard Thea Gilmore first in 2013 and fell in love with her voice, her lyrics, her music. Beautiful song.
8. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Dear Prudence One of those groups I had heard of but never checked out back in the '70's, but discovered in the past few years. Such a unique sound and I really like the way this song soars.
9. Shakespears Sister - Stay Love how this song builds, quite simple at first, but then the voice just soars as does the music.. love it.
10. The Source, with Candi Staton - You've Got the Love A super combination of a great DJ and a fantastic singer. Love this song.
So those are my Top Ten for the moment. I'll finish off with a couple of new songs for me, the start of my 2014 list. :0)
1. Pharrell Williams - Happy Pure joyousness. Finger - snapping good.
2. Bebe Black - I'll Wait Another great voice
Have a great January!