It's almost noon Pacific Time, December 31, 2013; in another 12 hours, 2014 will have moved into place in the Pacific West Coast. :0) Happy New Years to those who've already celebrated and the best in 2014 to everybody. I've been studiously avoiding starting any of my 2014 reading selections today but finding it very difficult. I will admit that I read the prologue (3 pages) and the various book reviews and the author's acknowledgements in one of the books, but I will persevere and wait until tomorrow... or maybe when I go to bed tonight, before starting them.
So what to do today to occupy my time. Well, I've gone for my last jog of 2013 and felt pretty good about it I must say and taken the dogs for two walks so far. And it's still only noon.. lol. I also plan to do some ironing tonight, the missus and I do like to relax during our holidays. But in the interim, I've been rereading some of my Blogs and thought that it might be time to update my Top Ten All-time favourite book list. When I first started this Blog, back in September 2010 (has it really been that long?), I did a number of posts (10 to be exact) where I listed my Top Ten Favourite books of all-time. It's been 3 years now and I think time to see if I've changed my mind on any of the books. My original list was -
1. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (published in 1960)
2. On the Beach by Nevil Shute (published in 1957)
3. Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham (published in 1951)
4. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (published in 1898)
5. The Postman by David Brin (published in 1985)
6. The Stand by Stephen King (published in 1978)
7. The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers (published in 1940)
8. Nineteen Eighty - Four by George Orwell (published in 1949)
9. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick (published in 1962)
10. The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman (published in 1962)
My revised list contains some of the previous list as I haven't changed my feelings on them at all. Some that have disappeared may be somewhat arbitrary, but sometimes it is just as simple as I haven't read it in many years and I need to do so to see if my thoughts remain the same. So here you go, my revised all-time Top Ten Favourite books -
here in my original post.
So there you have it, my latest iteration. I'll check back in a few years, if the Blog is still going and adjust, maybe.. :0)
Now onto 2014. 10 hours to go!! Happy New Year and the very best for 2014!!