It's not quite July 1st yet, but while I've got a bit of time; i.e. the puppies are having their mid-morning nap and for the moment, peace reigns, I thought I'd take a look back at my reading habits for the first half of 2013.
To start off with, I'm currently reading three books, one from each of three of my various challenges and I hope to have at least one completed by end Jun -
Focus Author for Jun - C.S. Forester - Flying Colours (the third of C.S. Forester's published Horatio Hornblower novels, chronologically in the sequence of Hornblower's life, number 11 chronologically in Hornblower's life);
Alphabetical Mystery Writers - Ian Hamilton's The Water Rat of Wanchai; and
12 + 2 Reading Group Challenge - Tim Maltin's Titanic; First Accounts.
Now to get the stats out of the way. I have so far completed 50 books out of my Goodread's Challenge of trying to complete 80 books in 2013 (63%). I do have some challenging books for the rest of the year, but I think I've got a pretty good chance of reading more than 80, which would be an improvement on 2012, when I completed 81. Total pages completed so far - roughly 13,800.
Specific Challenges -
Also I've managed to squeeze a couple of freebies in between all of the challenges. All in all, it's been a great six months so far. So let's see, what are my Top Ten favourites for the first half of the year?
10. Puck on Pook's Hill - Rudyard Kipling (4*)
9. Eagle of the Ninth Chronicles - Rosemary Sutcliff (4*)
8. The Spy Who Loved Me - Ian Fleming (4*)
7. Bangkok 8 - John Burdett (4*)
6. Marnie - Winston Graham (4*)
5. The Woman in Black - Susan Hill (4*)
4. Cast Histories - Kate Atkinson (5)
3. The Man in the High Castle - Philip K. Dick (5*)
2. The Ship - C.S. Forester (5*)
1. The Razor's Edge - W. Somerset Maugham (5*)
Next BLog I'll try to take a look at my plans for July. :0)
Keep on reading!