Sunday 18 September 2011

A Book Buying Spree - Pt 3

I've always liked SciFi and Fantasy and the interesting concepts that SciFi writers present; new worlds, new beings, and how humans are able to deal with it. I have gotten away from both genres in the recent past, focusing more on Mystery, but I do still enjoy certain authors and like to try a new one, here and there. While in Victoria, I managed to get a few authors I do enjoy.

SciFi and Fantasy

I discovered Phyllis Gotlieb while I was stationed down in Victoria, during one of my weekend book store crawls. She's a Canadian SciFi writer and has a very unique style; witty, interesting stories and characters. I have already read Sunburst, O Master Caliban and various of her short stories and find her style quite refreshing.  (On a side note, I was saddened to read that she had passed away in 2009. RIP Phyllis)

While in Victoria this weekend, I found another of her series, dealing with the telepathic cats of Ungruwarkh, The Kingdom of the Cats.

"The Time: A millennium after the Mayflower, on Solthree, once Mother-of-Worlds, now merely an area government in the Galactic Federation.
The Place: Solthree's immense Grand Canyon, temporary habitat for the great telepathic cats of Ungruwarkh.
The Grievance: The great cats had come in peace from a distant planet, to let Solthree scientists study their remarkable powers of perception. There were docile as Solthree housecats, until... the unthinkable happened! And Solthree suddenly had a terrible wrong to right, before peace would come again to ... The Kingdom of the Cats!"


The Dresden Files
 I was first introduced to Chicago's resident Wizard/ Private Detective, Harry Dresden, when the series aired on Space. I loved it and was quite upset it didn't last longer. I've since read some of the comics based on the books and also two of the books, Fool Moon and Storm Front.

I like how Jim Butcher tells a story; the characters are interesting (I especially like spunky Police Lt Karrin Murphy), the stories are well-written and make you want to read on and on, and the concept of the wizarding private eye is just neat!

Grave Peril is the third book in the Dresden Files series.

"Harry Dresden's faces some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago area phone book.

But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: The spirit world has gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble - and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent and deadly. Someone - or something - is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc. But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties with Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself..."

True Blood
Back in Ottawa, I was hooked on Buffy the Vampire Slayer and watched the show, read the books and comics, anything I could get my hands on. Then I discovered Laurell K. Hamilton's fantasy series about Anita Blake, vampire hunter and necromancer, and loved it. Later on, another series caught my attention. It was written by Charlaine Harris and was about a psychic bartender from Bon Temps, Louisiana, who gets involved with werewolves and vampires to name just a few. Interesting stories that have translated well to television with the hit series True Blood.

I have gotten away from keeping up with this series, but when I saw one of the latest  at Russell Books, I felt like reacquainting myself with Sookie. Dead in the Family is the tenth in the series and came out in 2010.

"After enduring torture and the loss of loved ones during the brief but deadly Fae War, Sookie Stackhouse is hurt and she's mad. Just about the only bright spot in her life is the love she thinks she feels for vampire Eric Northman. But he's under scrutiny by the new vampire king because of their relationship. And as the political implications of the shifters' coming-out are beginning to be felt, Sookie's connection to one particular Were draws her into the dangerous debate. Also, unknown to her, though the doors to Faery have been closed, there are still some fae on the human side - and one of them is angry at Sookie. Very, very angry."

I'm looking forward to getting into each and every one of them. Can't wait!

Tomorrow I'll go through the last few books on my shopping adventures, fiction and spy/ adventure stories.

In the meantime, Keep on Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails