Wednesday 24 March 2021

My New Theme Continued - Women Authors I Enjoy

March is winding down and I'm making nice progress on the books I'm working through. I hope to complete 3 or 4 more by month's end, but we'll see. I've no new books to discuss, although I do have a few on order. More on those when they arrive. So my post this afternoon will be a relatively short one as I continue with my look at Women Authors.

Women Authors I Enjoy - Karin Alvtegen

Karin Alvtegen
Karin Alvtegen is a Swedish crime writer. She was born in Huskvarna in 1965 and has written 7 novels, 5 of which have been translated into English. She was one of the first of the Scandi authors I discovered and was unique in that her books were all standalones. I was drawn to her writing style, her use of psychology in presenting her characters and just her excellent characters and stories. I've read 4 of the 5 translated stories and have yet to find a copy of the fifth. (more checking about to happen). So I'll look at the 4 books I've read so far and also provide a synopsis of the 5th. 

1. Missing (2000).







"Born into a life of privilege, Sybilla has spent many years opting instead to live on the streets of Stockholm, cadging a bed, a bath, a meal, where she can. Her favorite technique--one she permits herself only as a special treat--plays out at the Grand Hotel, where with luck she can usually charm a lonely visiting businessman into buying her dinner and a room for the night.

But then she picks the wrong businessman. When his dead body is found the next morning, Sybilla becomes the prime suspect. For years, her anonymity has sheltered her; she has found a kind of home in the invisibility of homeless life. But with her anonymity shattered, Sybilla is forced into the one course of action that might allow her to go home again." (4 stars)

2. Betrayal (2003).

"When Eva discovers that her husband's been having an affair, her grief and rage drive her into vengeful action. Then she meets Jonas, who for the past two years has been keeping vigil beside his comatose girlfriend. Burdened with his own sinister history, he sees a chance to start afresh with Eva.." (3 stars)

3. Shame (2005).







"I've read 4 of Karin Alvtegen's books and have enjoyed every one. Shame was excellent. It's usually found in the mystery section, but really, it's about situations and people and how these situations are resolved. And when Karin Alvtegen is writing the story, the resolution is very well-crafted. The two main characters in this book are Monika, a successful doctor, and Maj-Britt, an extremely over-weight home-ridden bitter woman. Both have issues and in many ways are broken. Gradually through the course of the story, they are brought together and by this contact a resolution of sorts comes about. Is it a satisfactory resolution? You'll have to read to decide. Neither character is particularly likeable, but you are drawn to them. There are some interesting supporting characters as well, especially Ellinor (who I liked very much) and Vanya, an old friend of Maj's. The story is gritty, at times dark, with many psychological issues, but it's also engrossing and draws you in deeply. As you get further into the story, you may find yourself turning page after page to see how things will tie up. I think in some ways, Alvtegen is a similar type of writer to Minette Walters, dealing with interesting story lines and characters. I've not been disappointed yet. (4 stars)"

4. Shadow (2007).







"This was an excellent story. It lived up to my expectations as I've read other Karin Alvtegen stories and enjoyed them immensely. She develops the story very nicely, introducing characters in each chapter and telling the story through their eyes. Each person is well-crafted, has their own individual personalities, their own faults. The story starts with the death of Gerda Persson, a lady who had previously been the house maid for a famous literary family. The preparations for her funeral will change many lives and bring people together who did not know each other existed. There are many surprises and an excellent ending, even if not what I expected. Karin Alvtegen is an excellent mystery writer, very unique style. Highly recommended. (4 stars)"

5. Guilt (1998).

"Peter Brolin's life is a mess. Heavily in debt, a failure in his business and personal life, he is one of life's nice-guy losers. Sitting alone in a cafe one day he is approached by a woman who obviously mistakes him for someone else. Before Peter can explain she has gone - leaving behind a package that she wishes to be delivered to her husband. The package and its gruesome contents lure Peter into a nightmarish hunt for this insane, obsessed woman - a hunt which eventually forces Peter to face up to his own murky past."

 (I hope to find this someday. I also hope the other two books; A Probable Story and Butterfly Effect, are eventually translated.)

I recommend that Karin Alvtegen be checked out. Well worth trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails