Thursday 13 April 2023

Another Music Related Post

Big Foot Donuts Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
I will get back to my book posts but as I was out driving Bonnie to the Vet, some songs I really enjoy popped up on my USB. Oh, I also stopped at Big Book Donuts for their April specialties. Jo had the Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (she loved it). I had the Peanut Butter Fudge.

Big Foot Donuts Peanut Butter Fudge
A brief political aside. I readily admit being a US political junkie. I fear for Canada's political health sometimes as some politicians, especially those belonging to the Conservative Party, emulate those ideas and activities of right wing fanatics in the US. Anyway, for the last while, the Governor of Florida, one Ron DeSantis, or as Donny Trumpy seems to be calling him, Tiny D, has been trying to outdo any fascist policy that Donny wants to institute. 

Ronny wishing he could go full Go-Go girl
He seems to have passed a law (coz he's got such a snowflake ego), requiring bloggers to register if they dare mention his name in their blogs, or even mentions GOP house members. I presume that only applies to Bloggers in Florida, but what the heck. I'm not registering there. (Enough of that. Time to take Clyde for a walk before I continue with this entry.)

Anyway, back to music. Over the years in this Blog, I've provided lists of favorite artists. Based on some of the songs I listened to today, I've decided to provide a list of the Top Ten Female artists whose music I've been enjoying since I met Jo and started the Blog. It's a mix of current artists and some who put out songs more than a few years ago. 

Top Ten Female Artists

(not in any particular order)

1. Mabel. Mabel Alabama-Pearl McVey, aka Mabel, is the daughter of music producer Cameron McVey and singer / songwriter Neneh Cherry. Since I first heard her music, I've enjoyed pretty well every song of hers that I've listened to. I'll provide one of her songs, one of the first that I enjoyed and when I run always makes me run a bit better when I hear it; Fine Line (2018).

2. Georgia. Georgia Rose Harriet Barnes, aka Georgia, is an English record producer, songwriter, singer. She also comes from a musical family. Her father, Neil Barnes, is the cofounder and keyboardist for the English electronic music group, Leftfield. The first song that I enjoyed, About Work the Dancefloor (2019) was so good and I really liked the simplicity of her video. Enjoy.

3. Halsey. (yes, they do seem to like performing under one name, eh?) American singer / songwriter Ashley Nicolette Frangipane, aka Halsey, is a New Jersey girl. Jo and I saw her on Saturday Night Live a couple of years back and really enjoyed her. She seemed like such a nice person, also very funny, and her songs are neat. A nice mix of a sweet voice with edgy song lyrics. Gasoline was initially released in 2015 and is an excellent example of her songs.

4. Sandi Shaw. I'm going back to the 60's with my next artist. English pop singer Sandi Shaw was one of the most successful British female pop singers of the 60's. I only discovered her music more recently and I like her easy voice and pop sensibilities. And she performed in bare feet. Can't go wrong with that eh? Her first number one single was There's Always Something There to Remind Me was released in 1964.

5. Belinda Carlisle. I first enjoyed American singer / songwriter Belinda Carlisle when she was a member of the punk pop group, The Gogos. She embarked on a successful solo career later on and so many of her songs have been favorites of mine. Most recently I discovered In Too Deep a single from 1996.

6. Dua Lipa. English / Albanian singer / songwriter Dua Lipa has put out so many excellent songs. I haven't really heard one that I haven't enjoyed. Excellent pop music. Levitating was originally released in 2020.

7. Rita Ora. English singer / songwriter Rita Ora was born in Yugoslavia and had been very successful in the British charts. She's been a mentor on The Voice (UK) and also a judge on The X-Factor and The Voice (UK). Let You Love Me was originally released in 2018. The video is from her performance at the 2018 Victoria Secret fashion show. It was a great performance.

8. Elkie Brooks. Once again I'm going back a few decades to the 70s and 80s with English singer Elaine Bookbinder, aka Elkie Brooks. She is another one that I've only recently discovered; mainly from BBC 2's radio shows. I really like her voice. Sunshine After the Rain came out in 1977.

9. Anne Marie. English singer / songwriter Anne-Marie Rose Nicholson, aka Anne-Marie, is another of the newish performers whose music I've begun enjoying. I find her songs a bit edgier than some of the others (a bit anyway.) The first song I remember hearing was her vocals for Clean Bandit's Rockabye. I listed Sad Bitch (2023) in my most recent midweek music medley. So let's look at another today. Kiss My (Uh-Oh) came out in 2021.

10. Hailee Steinfeld. American actress and singer / songwriter Hailee Steinfeld is multi-talented and has put some excellent songs. She started out in movies, winning a Best Supporting Actress nomination for her work in True Grit. Jo and I have also enjoyed her performance in Pitch Perfect 2. Jo's favorite song of hers is debut single, Love Myself, released in 2015.

I hope you enjoy checking out these artists. Have fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails