Sunday 27 December 2020

Reading Updates - A Look Back at 2020 and Forward to 2021

As Jo watches a special on the Beatles' secretary, Freda Kelly, I'm going to continue with my look at my past year of reading, plus forward to see my plans for 2021. I joined Goodreads in 2010 and have taken part in various reading challenges since that time. Each year one of my reading groups has a number of challenges. 

The main one is the 12 + 4 challenges. The aim is to pick 12 books, plus 4 alternates to read during the particular year. I've tried different themes over the years. In 2015, I picked the first books in a number of series; in 2016, all Canadian content books; in 2017, Science Fiction novels; in 2018, I asked 7 friends to pick 4 books from my 'not-read' bookshelf and I chose 2 from each; and, in 2019, I picked books from ongoing series.

This past year I decided to finish off a number of series. I managed to read 15 books, finishing off a number of series. The remaining book will be one of my first books of 2020. So my plan today is to highlight the series / books I finished in this 12 + 4 challenge. I'll also let you know the first book I picked for my 2021 12 + 4 Challenge.

2020 12 + 4 Group Read - Finish Some Ding Dang Series

1. Rennie Airth (John Madden series). This one tricked me. I thought I had only one more book to read in this series when I read The Death of Kings (3.5 stars), the 5th book in this excellent historical crime series. When I finished I discovered that in 2020 Airth put out one more book, The Decent Inn of Death. I had the best intentions but I do hope I will finish it once again... lol.. in 2021.

2. Linda Buckley-Archer wrote an interesting young adult trilogy, the Gideon fantasy time-travel series. It was an interesting series, with Time Quake (3 stars) the final book.

3. Tom Rob Smith wrote the Leo Demidov Russian crime series. The first book reminded me of Martin Cruz Smith's Arcady Renko mystery series. Agent 6 (4.5 stars) was the last book that I read in this challenge in 2020.

4. Evelyn Waugh wrote the Sword trilogy, featuring WWII anti-hero Guy Crouchback. Unconditional Surrender (4 stars) was the final book. I have read other standalones by Waugh. He as a unique writer.

5. Jenny White wrote a surprising trilogy that I enjoyed very much, a historical crime series set in Turkey, featuring Police Lieutenant Kamil Pasha. The final book, The Winter Thief (5 stars), was excellent.

6. John Buchan, besides being one of Canada's Governors - General, was also a prolific author. He wrote an excellent adventure series starring Richard Hannay (The 39 Steps was the 1st). The 5th book, The Courts of the Morning (3.5 stars) features Hannay only in passing. I do have other books by Buchan to read.

7. Max Byrd wrote a crime trilogy set in San Francisco featuring PI Mike Haller. I finished the final two books in the trilogy, Fly Away Jill (4 stars) and Finders Weepers (5 stars). Excellent noir series.

8. John P. Marquand wrote a Japanese spy series set during WWII featuring enigmatic Japanese spy Mr. Moto. Stopover: Tokyo (3.5 stars) was a great way to finish this 5 book series.

9. Ian Fleming is best known for creating the James Bond spy series. I finished the final two books in the series; The Man with a Golden Gun (3.5 stars) and Octopussy and the Living Daylights (4 stars).

10. Deryn Collier wrote a two-book series featuring an ex-military man turned coroner, set in the interior of British Columbia. Open Secret (3 stars) was the final book.

11. Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan wrote The Strain trilogy, which also became a successful television series. They offered a unique take on the vampire mythos. The Night Eternal (4 stars) was an excellent completion of the trilogy.

12. Philippe Georget wrote the Inspector Sebag mystery series set in southern France. I read two books to complete the trilogy; Summertime All the Cats are Bored (4 stars) & Crimes of Winter (4 stars) were the 1st and 3rd books in the series.

See anything interesting?

2021 12 + 4 Challenge - Clean Out the Attic

I tried this challenge in 2020 in another group but it was kind of haphazard. This year I'm more focused. I picked the 16 books that have been on my Goodreads 'To-Be Read' bookshelf and will read them in 2021. Getting rid of some dusty books.

1. Janet Evanovich's Fearless Fourteen (Stephanie Plum #14) will be the first book in the challenge.

"Personal vendettas, hidden treasure, and a monkey named Carl will send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most explosive adventure yet.

The Crime: Armed robbery to the tune of nine million dollars

Dom Rizzi robbed a bank, stashed the money, and did the time. His family couldn't be more proud. He always was the smart one.

The Cousin: Joe Morelli

Joe Morelli, Dom Rizzi, and Dom's sister, Loretta, are cousins. Morelli is a cop, Rizzi robs banks, and Loretta is a single mother waiting tables at the firehouse. The all-American family.

The Complications: Murder, kidnapping, destruction of personal property, and acid reflux

Less than a week after Dom's release from prison, Joe Morelli has shadowy figures breaking into his house and dying in his basement. He's getting threatening messages, Loretta is kidnapped, and Dom is missing.

The Catastrophe: Moonman

Morelli hires Walter "Mooner" Dunphy, stoner and "inventor" turned crime fighter, to protect his house. Morelli can't afford a lot on a cop's salary, and Mooner will work for potatoes.

The Cupcake: Stephanie Plum

Stephanie and Morelli have a long-standing relationship that involves sex, affection, and driving each other nuts. She's a bond enforcement agent with more luck than talent, and she's involved in this bank-robbery-gone-bad disaster from day one.

The Crisis: A favor for Ranger

Security expert Carlos Manoso, street name Ranger, has a job for Stephanie that will involve night work. Morelli has his own ideas regarding Stephanie's evening activities.

The Conclusion: Only the fearless should read Fourteen."

I'll provide the other books as the year progresses. Enjoy your upcoming week. Stay safe. 😷

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails