Wednesday 20 December 2017

A New Book and Some other Items of Interest (To me Anyway)

I'm still sort of waiting for the Xmas spirit to hit me. Jo has been busy this week cooking stews, spaghetti and paté, so it's definitely starting to smell like it. The paté has been excellent as always. We haven't had any snow yet (I'm not complaining) but the glacier and mountain have a great coating of it. Today was nice and frosty and cool and sunny, beautiful day.

On Monday, the kids from Spinning Compass installed the Little Free Library that Vicky made for me. It looks great. We're kind of off the beaten track so we'll have to see how it all goes. I could register it with the International site. I'll see.

Anyway, I like it. Jo suggested it be red and white and the red really pops.

New Book

One of my last books of 2017 arrived in the mail from World of Books in the UK, the other day. I've read a few of Forester's books; a number of the Hornblower series, The African Queen, Payment Deferred, The Ship, The General. He was definitely prolific and had a turn of phrase. The Captain from Connecticut was originally published in 1941. The synopsis is below.

"The British Navy is blockading the coasts of the new republic of the United States of America. Through the blockade, breaking the line, comes an American ship, her brave new flag defying the mighty ships deployed against her. It is the DELAWARE, manned by desperate men, attacking like a lion, seeking the destruction of a valuable convoy, challenging three British men o' war, defying them all."

Sounds interesting. Forester does describe naval battles quite excellently.

 Great Historical Events


On that note, I think I'll provide an excerpt from Treasures  of Use and Beauty. Kind of appropriate since it deals with a similar time period as the book above. My last entry covered 1797 and with today's I'll complete the 1700's with today's excerpt.







"1798. A direct tax and additional internal revenues were laid.
Navy department created and a number of war vessels ordered to sea, in expectation of war with France.
Washington appointed Commander-in-Chief of the army, by President Adams.

The 'State's Rights Theory.
 Congress passed alien and sedition laws, which called out the first expression of the 'State's Rights Theory.'

1799. Naval engagement between American and French ships of war. America victorious, and terms of peace are secured.
First teachers' association, called the Middlesex Co. Association, for the improvement of commong schools, composed mostly of teachers.
Death of Washington, first President of the United States. (Ed. Note. I won't say what this made me think....)

Von Humboldt.
Humboldt visited South America, and explored the mountain regions, and gathered new collections to his vast stores of scientific facts and natural curiosities."

We start 1800 with my next excerpt... the modern ages.. ;0)

Science of Common Things

Have you missed Prof. L.G. Gorton? His wisdom today covers the atmosphere.

"To what height does the atmosphere extend?  From fifty to two hundred miles. What is the pressure of the atmosphere at the earth's surface? Fifteen pounds to every square inch of surface. (Ed. Note. How do you translate that into kilograms per square centimeter you ask? How the heck should I know! I'm not Prof Gorton.) What is the pressure on the average man? Thirty thousand pounds, or fifteen tons. (Ed. Note. Some days I feel every pound.) Why does he not feel this pressure? Because it presses equally in every direction, and on the internal as well as on the external surface of the body."

There you go... Did you miss it? Well, there is still a fair bit to go with these excerpts. I hope you like them Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails